Plasmodium falciparum Welch
ATCC determines the biosafety level of a material based on our risk assessment as guided by the current edition of Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories (BMBL), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. It is your responsibility to understand the hazards associated with the material per your organization’s policies and procedures as well as any other applicable regulations as enforced by your local or national agencies.
ATCC highly recommends that appropriate personal protective equipment is always used when handling vials. For cultures that require storage in liquid nitrogen, it is important to note that some vials may leak when submersed in liquid nitrogen and will slowly fill with liquid nitrogen. Upon thawing, the conversion of the liquid nitrogen back to its gas phase may result in the vial exploding or blowing off its cap with dangerous force creating flying debris. Unless necessary, ATCC recommends that these cultures be stored in the vapor phase of liquid nitrogen rather than submersed in liquid nitrogen.
In vitro culture in human erythrocyte
The following directions for recovery from the frozen state must be carefully followed if a culture is to be successfully established.
1. Place the frozen vial in a 37oC water bath until mixture is completely thawed.
2. Aseptically transfer the contents to a 50 ml sterile conical tube.
3. Slowly add 1 volume (0.1 ml) 12% Sodium Chloride solution dropwise via a 1ml syringe to 5 volumes sample (0.5 ml) and agitate continuously.
4. Allow the mixture to stand for 5 mins. at room temperature.
5. Slowly add 5 ml 1.8% Sodium Chloride dropwise via a larger syringe and allow to stand at room temperature for 2 mins.
6. Add 5 ml of 0.9% Sodium Chloride / 0.2% Glucose solution as in step 5.
7. Centrifuge for 5 min. at 1500rpm, remove supernatant.
8. Wash pellet in 20 ml incomplete medium.
9. Centrifuge for 5 min at 1500 rpm, remove supernatant.
10. Resuspend pellet in 8ml complete medium in tissue culture flask and gently aerate culture with gas mixture of 5% CO2, 5% O2 and 90% N2 using a sterile, cotton plugged Pasteur pipet.
11. Smear if required (see below).
1. Centrifuge ring stage culture for 5 min at 1800rpm in 50 ml centrifuge tube.
2. Aspirate supernatant using sterile Pasteur pipet.
3. Resuspend pellet gently in remaining supernatant.
4. Slowly add 5 volumes of glycerolyte medium (see below) to 3 volumes pellet dropwise via a syringe as follows:
A. Add the first volume of glycerolyte and allow the tube to stand for 5 mins. at room temperature.
B. Add the remaining 4 volumes of glycerolyte and gently agitate.
5. Aliquot mixture into Nunc screwtop freezing vials and store at 80oC overnight.
6. Plunge vials into liquid nitrogen (-196oC) the next day and store in liquid nitrogen or liquid nitrogen vapor.
** To formulate glycerolyte medium, combine the following with distilled water to 100 ml: 57.00g glycerol, 1.60g sodium lactate (C3H5NaO3), 30.00mg potassium chloride (KCl), 1.38g sodium dihydrogen phosphate (NaH2PO4). Mix well and adjust pH to 6.8 using concentrated NaOH and/or HCl. Autoclave to sterilize, and store at 4oC.
The product is provided 'AS IS' and the viability of ATCC® products is warranted for 30 days from the date of shipment, provided that the customer has stored and handled the product according to the information included on the product information sheet, website, and Certificate of Analysis. For living cultures, ATCC lists the media formulation and reagents that have been found to be effective for the product. While other unspecified media and reagents may also produce satisfactory results, a change in the ATCC and/or depositor-recommended protocols may affect the recovery, growth, and/or function of the product. If an alternative medium formulation or reagent is used, the ATCC warranty for viability is no longer valid. Except as expressly set forth herein, no other warranties of any kind are provided, express or implied, including, but not limited to, any implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, manufacture according to cGMP standards, typicality, safety, accuracy, and/or noninfringement.
This product is intended for laboratory research use only. It is not intended for any animal or human therapeutic use, any human or animal consumption, or any diagnostic use. Any proposed commercial use is prohibited without a license from ATCC.
While ATCC uses reasonable efforts to include accurate and up-to-date information on this product sheet, ATCC makes no warranties or representations as to its accuracy. Citations from scientific literature and patents are provided for informational purposes only. ATCC does not warrant that such information has been confirmed to be accurate or complete and the customer bears the sole responsibility of confirming the accuracy and completeness of any such information.
This product is sent on the condition that the customer is responsible for and assumes all risk and responsibility in connection with the receipt, handling, storage, disposal, and use of the ATCC product including without limitation taking all appropriate safety and handling precautions to minimize health or environmental risk. As a condition of receiving the material, the customer agrees that any activity undertaken with the ATCC product and any progeny or modifications will be conducted in compliance with all applicable laws, regulations, and guidelines. This product is provided 'AS IS' with no representations or warranties whatsoever except as expressly set forth herein and in no event shall ATCC, its parents, subsidiaries, directors, officers, agents, employees, assigns, successors, and affiliates be liable for indirect, special, incidental, or consequential damages of any kind in connection with or arising out of the customer's use of the product. While reasonable effort is made to ensure authenticity and reliability of materials on deposit, ATCC is not liable for damages arising from the misidentification or misrepresentation of such materials.
Please see the material transfer agreement (MTA) for further details regarding the use of this product. The MTA is available at www.atcc.org.
If shipping to the U.S. state of Hawaii, you must provide either an import permit or documentation stating that an import permit is not required. We cannot ship this item until we receive this documentation. Contact the Hawaii Department of Agriculture (HDOA), Plant Industry Division, Plant Quarantine Branch to determine if an import permit is required.