Direct & Indirect Culture Mycoplasma Testing
The direct culture method uses both broth and agar. This permits isolation of cultivable strains as apparent by the appearance of characteristic mycoplasma colonies on the agar medium.
- Two agars and one broth tube are inoculated for each sample
- Samples are incubated and subcultured on days 3, 7, and 14 after inoculation
- Results are read separately by two individuals after 14 days of incubation
The indirect culture method makes use of the binding properties of fluorochrome Hoechst DNA stain. The stain will bind the DNA of mycoplasma and infected organisms can be easily detected using a microscope equipped with appropriate fluorescence optics.
- Prepare sample and culture medium
- Prepare DNA stain and fixative solutions
- Stain chamber slides
- Read slides (Results are read separately by two individuals
Result Type: Qualitative (Yes/No)
ATCC Catalog Number: 119-X
List Price: $279.00 per sample
Mycoplasma testing requires scheduling.
The MTS service will not be available the weeks of Thanksgiving (November 23rd - 27th), Christmas and New Year’s (December 21st - January 1st)
In the meantime, learn how to submit your samples for testing:
Procedure for Submitting Cell Cultures for Mycoplasma Testing