To ensure that ATCC is aware of all characteristics that may impact regulatory compliance in handling, storage, and distribution, the following information is required for each item deposited. This information may be included on the patent deposit form or appended as necessary.
- Microorganisms (bacteria, fungi, protozoa, etc.): The complete scientific name including genus and species, and the source of the material. The source of the material includes both the source of isolation (human, animal, plant, etc.) and the geographical location (U.S., France, etc.).
- Viruses: The name of the virus and the source of the material. The source of the material includes both the source of isolation (human, animal, plant, etc.) and the geographical location (U.S., France, etc.).
- Cell lines: The species of origin, such as human, mouse, non-human primate, etc., geographical source of isolation, and any known hazards associated with the line (HIV, EBV, etc., and including genetically modified cell lines using plasmids with viral genes).
- Genetic materials: The name of the organism from which a vector, clone or library is derived. For clones and constructs the source of the DNA insert must be identified by species (e.g., human, mouse) or by scientific name if a microorganism or virus. When the source of the DNA is a microorganism or virus please provide the name of the gene and the identity of the host organism.
- Miscellaneous items (agricultural seeds, etc.): The common name and scientific name of the source of the deposit, and the geographical source.
- Mixed cultures and consortia: Each component of the mixture must be identified.