A trusted biological resource for the worldwide research community
ATCC (American Type Culture Collection) is a private, nonprofit, global biological resource center and standards organization that provides scientists with the biomaterials and resources they need to conduct critical life science research.
We support the scientific community with the world’s largest and most diverse collection of human and animal cell products, as well as molecular genomic tools, microbe products, and biological materials. We offer a host of services, as well, including cell and microbial culturing and authentication, development and production of controls and derivatives, proficiency testing, and biomaterial deposit services. Through our ATCC Federal Solutions initiative, we lend our expertise to federal agencies in areas that include global health and infectious diseases, biodefense, and noncommunicable diseases.
We've developed a quality commitment, which includes ISO accreditations and standards, that has allowed ATCC to evolve from a traditional culture collection founded in 1925 to a biological resource center with an infrastructure that supports the future of life science and biotechnology.
Our newly expanded headquarters and bioproduction facility is located in Manassas, Virginia, near Washington DC, and our FDA-registered biorepository facility and research and development center is located in Gaithersburg, Maryland.
ATCC reference materials are cited as standards by agencies such as the US Food and Drug Administration, the US Department of Agriculture, the Clinical Laboratory Standards Institute, the US Pharmacopeia, European Pharmacopoeia, Japan Pharmacopoeia, and the World Health Organization.
Our reference materials are used in a host of applications relevant to the lives of global populations, including developing therapeutic and diagnostic products; testing the quality of food, water, and environmental samples; making accurate medical diagnoses; and obtaining sound forensic information.
ATCC Collection Holdings
ATCC’s collections include a wide range of biological materials for research, including:
- More than 3,400 continuous cell lines available by species, tissue/disease types, and signaling pathways
- Tumor cell and molecular panels for cancer research, annotated with gene mutations and molecular profiles
- Ethnic and gender diverse induced pluripotent stem cell (iPSC) collections derived from normal/disease tissues, as well as adult human mesenchymal stem cells and mouse embryonic stem cells
- Donor diverse normal human primary cells and hTERT immortalized cells
- Dissociation and transfection reagents, classical media formulations and supplements, and sera
- Microbial panels for research related to infectious disease, antibiotic-resistance, food and environmental testing, and population studies
- Over 18,000 bacterial strains useful in industry applications, assay development, quality control, and environmental studies
- More than 3,000 human and animal viruses isolated from various sources
- Fungi and yeast representing over 7,600 species
- Taxonomically diverse protists including, parasitic protozoa, and algae
- More than 1,000 genomic and synthetic nucleic acids, as well as certified reference materials
- Over 500 microbial cultures recommended as quality control reference strains
We use the latest technology, such as Droplet Digital™ PCR, CRISPR, and next generation sequencing to authenticate and develop quality products that drive innovation and standards in science.
Learn more about us
Get the latest news and information about ATCC, from new products and services to new partnerships and innovations in life science.Read the latest news
Working at ATCC
Everyone makes a difference at ATCC. Learn about our shared commitment to our mission and what we offer ATCC employees.Join our team
We hire scientists and professionals from many fields, such as customer service, sales and marketing, bioinformatics, and supply chain and operations.Search open positions