Complete Growth Medium
The base medium for this cell line is ATCC-formulated Eagle's Minimum Essential Medium, Catalog No. 30-2003. To make the complete growth medium, add the following components to the base medium: fetal bovine serum to a final concentration of 10%.
Volumes used in this protocol are for 75 cm2 flasks; proportionally reduce or increase amount of dissociation medium for culture vessels of other sizes.
- Remove and discard culture medium.
- Briefly rinse the cell layer with Ca++/Mg++ free Dulbecco's phosphate-buffered saline (D-PBS) or 0.25% (w/v) Trypsin - 0.53 mM EDTA solution to remove all traces of serum which contains trypsin inhibitor.
- Add 2.0 to 3.0 mL until cell layer is dispersed (usually within 10 to 20 minutes).
Note: To avoid clumping do not agitate the cells by hitting or shaking the flask while waiting for the cells to detach. Cells that are difficult to detach may be placed at 37C to facilitate dispersal.
- Add 6.0 to 8.0 mL of complete growth medium and aspirate cells by gently pipetting.
- Add appropriate aliquots of the cell suspension to new culture vessels.
- Incubate cultures at 37°C.
Subcultivation Ratio: A subcultivation ratio of 1:3 is recommended
Medium Renewal: 2 to 3 times per week
Freeze medium: Complete growth medium, 95%; DMSO, 5%
Storage temperature: liquid nitrogen vapor phase