Complete Growth Medium
ACL-4 medium (serum-free)
The base medium for this cell line is ATCC formulated DMEM: F12 Medium Catalog No. 30-2006. To make the complete growth medium, add the following components to the base medium:
- 0.02 mg/ml insulin
- 0.01 mg/ml transferrin
- 25 nM sodium selenite (final conc.)
- 50 nM Hydrocortisone (final conc.)
- 1 ng/ml Epidermal Growth Factor (do not filter)
- 0.01 mM ethanolamine (final conc.)
- 0.01 mM phosphorylethanolamine (final conc.)
- 100 pM triiodothyronine (final conc.)
- 0.5% (w/v) bovine serum albumin (final conc.)
- 10 mM HEPES
- 0.5 mM sodium pyruvate (final conc.)
- extra 2mM L-glutamine (for final conc. of 4.5mM)
Volumes used in this protocol are for 75 cm2 flasks; proportionally reduce or increase amount of dissociation medium for culture vessels of other sizes.
- Remove and discard culture medium.
- Briefly rinse the cell layer with Ca++/Mg++ free Dulbecco's phosphate-buffered saline (D-PBS) or 0.25% (w/v) Trypsin - 0.53 mM EDTA solution.
- Add 2.0 to 3.0 mL of Trypsin-EDTA solution to flask and observe cells under an inverted microscope until cell layer is dispersed (usually within 5 to 15 minutes).
Note: To avoid clumping do not agitate the cells by hitting or shaking the flask while waiting for the cells to detach. Cells that are difficult to detach may be placed at 37°C to facilitate dispersal.
- Add 6.0 to 8.0 mL of complete growth medium and aspirate cells by gently pipetting.
Transfer cell suspension to a centrifuge tube and spin at approximately 125 x g for 5 to 10 minutes. Discard supernatant.
- To remove trypsin-EDTA solution, transfer cell suspension to centrifuge tube and spin at approximately 125 x g for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Discard supernatant and resuspend cells in fresh growth medium. Add appropriate aliquots of cell suspension to new culture vessels.
- Place culture vessels in incubators at 37°C.
Subcultivation Ratio: A subcultivation ratio of 1:3 to 1:6 is recommended
Medium Renewal: Every 2 to 3 days
Note: For more information on enzymatic dissociation and subculturing of cell lines consult Chapter 13 in Culture Of Animal Cells: A Manual Of Basic Technique by R. Ian Freshney, 5th edition, published by Wiley-Liss, N.Y., 2005.
RPMI 1640 medium 85%; fetal bovine serum, 10%; DMSO, 5%. Cell culture tested DMSO is available as ATCC Catalog No. 4-X.