Complete Growth Medium
The base medium for this cell line is ATCC-formulated RPMI-1640 Medium, Catalog No. 30-2001. To make the complete growth medium, add the following components to the base medium: fetal bovine serum to a final concentration of 10%.
Phenol Red is a structural mimic for estrogen. Therefore the estrogenic activity of phenol red should be considered in any studies that utilize estrogen-responsive cells in culture (RefBerthois Y, et al. Phenol red in tissue culture media is a weak estrogen: implications concerning the study of estrogen-responsive cells in culture. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 83: 2496–2500, 1986. PubMed: 3458212). The Phenol Red-free version of RPMI 1640, is ATCC catalog No. 30-2602.
Volumes used in this protocol are for 75 cm2 flask; proportionally reduce or increase amount of dissociation medium for culture vessels of other sizes.
- Remove and discard culture medium.
- Briefly rinse the cell layer with 0.25% (w/v) Trypsin-0.53 mM EDTA solution to remove all traces of serum that contains trypsin inhibitor.
- Add 2.0 to 3.0 mL of Trypsin-EDTA solution to flask and observe cells under an inverted microscope until cell layer is dispersed (usually within 5 to 10 minutes).
Note: To avoid clumping do not agitate the cells by hitting or shaking the flask while waiting for the cells to detach. Cells that are difficult to detach may be placed at 37°C to facilitate dispersal.
- Add 6.0 to 8.0 mL of complete growth medium and aspirate cells by gently pipetting.
- Add appropriate aliquots of the cell suspension to new culture vessels.
- Incubate cultures at 37°C
Subculture Ratio: 1:2 to 1:3
Medium Renewal: 2 to 3 times a week.
Note: For more information on enzymatic dissociation and subculturing of cell lines consult Chapter 13 in Culture of Animal Cells, a manual of Basic Technique by R. Ian Freshney, 5th edition, published by Wiley-Liss, N.Y., 2005.
Freeze medium: Complete growth medium 95%; DMSO, 5%
Storage temperature: liquid nitrogen vapor temperature
Atmosphere: air, 95%; carbon dioxide (CO2), 5%
Growth Conditions: The line grows as large epithelial attached cells in island-like formation.